October 24, 2017 – The Jack News released the results of its latest online survey, about whether the Commission on Presidential Debates should waive its 15 percent polling requirement and allow all qualified presidential candidates to be included on the debate stage.
By an overwhelming margin, 95 percent to 5 percent, respondents answered, “Yes.”
The results come just days before former Libertarian Party presidential candidate Gov. Gary Johnson, now Honorary Chairman of Our America Initiative, takes to the steps of the Supreme Court for a rally on the topic.
At the rally on October 26, Johnson – the former Governor of New Mexico – will urge the high court to hear his lawsuit demanding inclusion in future debates.
In August 2016, in the leadup to last year’s presidential debates, 62 percent of American voters said they wanted to see Gary Johnson in the debates with Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, according to the Quinnipiac University survey.
An audience familiar with the controversies surrounding the Commission on Presidential Debates
Readers of The Jack News are likely to be familiar with controversies surrounding the Commission on Presidential Debates. Many news reports, analysis, sponsored stories and commentaries at The Jack News have touched upon the CPD, and its 15 percent polling requirement.
The requirement led the private, non-profit Commission on Presidential Debates to exclude Johnson and his running mate Gov. Bill Weld, the former governor of Massachusetts, from the debates.
At the time, Johnson was polling higher than Ross Perot had been, at the same point in time in the 1992 presidential contest.
Perot was invited to participate in the 1992 debates with George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton. Perot ended up receiving 19 percent of the total vote that year, the highest-polling third-party candidate in several generations.
Among the articles in The Jack News addressing the Commission on Presidential Debates, its arbitrary 15 percent threshold, and its duopoly-protection tactics include:
- The Commission on Presidential Debates Has Decided to Stop Publishing Its Sponsors (October 20)
- Most States Let Third Parties on the Stage, Unlike the Commission on Presidential Debates (October 18)
- Gary Johnson: It’s Un-American to Allow GOP and Democrats to Control Presidential Debates (October 17)
- Everything You Need To Know About Gary Johnson’s Rally On The U.S. Supreme Court Steps (October 16)
- The Commission on Presidential Debate’s Facade of Legitimacy (September 21)
- Our America Initiative to Appeal Commission on Presidential Debates Decision (September 6)
- Republicans and Democrats Conspired to Limit Debates, Says Lawsuit Against Commission (August 11)